September 16-23 is #BiWeek! Throughout #BiWeek, allies and bi+ people learn about the history, culture, community, and current policy priorities of bi+ communities.
I’ve only been “out” for a few years, but I’ve been bi my whole life, so I’d be happy to answer questions or provide resources if you’ve got questions. And no questions are dumb questions! Education is the way to become a better ally.
- Attracted to people of any amount of genders
- Still facing biphobia not just from the general public, but also from the LGBTQ+ community
- Real, and not some made-up concept- Still bi even if they’re in a heteronormative relationship
- Still bi even if they’re in a same-gender relationship
- Still bi even if they’re single
- Still bi even if they’ve never had a relationship with a partner of any gender
- Still bi even if they’re “closeted”
Bisexuals are not:
- Going through a “phase”
- Inherently unfaithful to their partners
- Inherently promiscuous
- Inherently transphobic (this misconception stems from the belief that “bisexual” means being only attracted to people who identify as men or women)
- Just waiting for couples to spam them with requests to be a third in their threesome (please stop this)
Here is a really wonderful graphic explaining the bi+ umbrella: